Just like my family, I’m sure you are staying in to protect your family from the coronavirus and to protect others from catching it. And while the situation is frightening, you can count on the people of Illinois to rally behind one another.
Every day there are all sorts of little acts of kindness playing out all across our state. For example today I received this story from the State Journal-Register about Dave Heinzel, a filmmaker in Springfield, who is handcrafting wooden signs saying “Everything Will Be Okay” and placing them all over Springfield. You can watch a quick video about it here.
My husband works at a hospital and today he got the news that someone in his workplace was diagnosed with Covid-19, he may be tested over the next 2 days, but he isn’t worried. His focus is on providing food the the patients and staff. Zig Ziglar once said “You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want.” Certainly our family is trying.
- April 10 – SBA Paycheck Protection Program opens for application for independent contractors and self-employed
- April 13th – IRS payments begin this week for individuals with direct deposit
- The CDC is now urging all Americans to wear a face covering (ideally a non-medical mask or scarf covering their mouth and nose) when they leave their homes. They have published a Q&A page for cloth face coverings and have updated the prevention page to include guidance on the use of cloth face coverings as a means to mitigate spread of COVID-19.
- The CDC has started publishing “COVIDView,” a weekly surveillance summary of U.S. COVID-19 activity. The report summarizes and interprets key indicators including information related to COVID-19 outpatient visits, emergency department visits, hospitalizations and deaths, as well as laboratory data.
Illinois SNAP recipients will begin receiving maximum benefit amounts this week. Customers do not need to call or visit an office; Increased SNAP benefits will be loaded directly on Link cards.
In this difficult time we are constantly seeking to help connect people to resources. Will County has put together a MAP page here:
That shows locations and times for:
- Free School Meal Locations
- Grocery and Pharmacy Special Hours
- Food Pantries
- Micro Food Pantries
Please feel free to share and distribute this info and if you know of something we don’t have here please feel free to contact us at email@example.com.
Special thanks to the Will County GIS Staffers Howard Kim and Jared Pilbeam, led by Becky Colwell-Ongenae on making this happen in short order.
We can be thankful this week for the work of Governor JB Pritzker. It is no less than amazing the work he is doing to keep the people of Illinois safe. He’s also helping us stay sane by launching All In Illinois, a joyous website that not only provides the messages we need to hear, but features inspiring stories and great short videos by famous Illinois actors like Jane Lynch, Nick Offerman, David Eigenberg and many more.
The message that unifies all of these videos, posters, activities and stories is simple: Be All In, Illinois. All Home. All Safe. All Strong. Thanks for doing your part to keep us all safe.
If there is anything my family can do to assist you, it may be as simple as just someone to talk to or maybe connect you to a needed service or piece of information. Please reach out via phone or text at 630-240-9178. Lets all look forward together.